The post in which we remember to give ourselves a break

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Sometimes balancing life is really hard.  It's easy to get down on yourself and think about all the things you haven't done or still need to do instead of focusing on what you have.  This is a topic that I've been thinking about a lot lately, due in part to my WIP.  Why are we so hard on ourselves?  Why is it so easy to focus on the things we don't have, instead of the things we do have?

I think it's human nature to want what we don't have.  Some of us are just competitive and want the best, or have a goal that we are determined to meet no matter what.  But let's be honest, some people will just never be happy no matter what.  The truth of the matter is, very few of us have everything we've ever wanted and dreamed of in our lives.  Most of us work hard, and fight hard for everything we have, but there is always that loan you wish you could pay off, that car you really want to buy, or the house you no longer want to rent, or maybe it's something as simple as wanting that new pair of shoes you've been coveting or a book.

Here's the thing, while we all maybe have that something in our lives that we wish we had, I can guarantee we all have that something that is a thousand times more important than whatever it is in our lives we are coveting.  For me, it's my girls.  It's easy for me to get caught up in the things I don't do right, or the things I don't have.  Like, I wish I was better at house cleaning and didn't let my laundry pile up.  I also wish I was better at balancing work, writing, sleep and other responsibilities.  I always feel like I'm letting someone down somewhere along the way.  I also really thought we wouldn't still be renting our house and would have bought another one again by now, but the fact is - none of it matters in the grand scheme of things.  Really.  I swear to you, it doesn't.  You know why?  That important thing I was talking about - my children?  Well they are SO happy.  The life my husband and I have made for them, while sure it can be full of mistakes or things I wish I was better at, is so unbelievably full.  It's full of happiness, giggles, smiles, laughter, hugs, kisses, and love.  My girls, they don't see those other wishes, those other things in my life that I feel like are my failures.  They just know they are happy, healthy, well cared for and loved - and it shows in their faces, in their actions and in the heart of the girls they are becoming each and every day.

So the next time you get down on yourself, or wish you were at a different place than you are, find that thing in your life - you know the one - that thing that makes all the crap we deal with in life worth it, and focus on that.  And rest assured, that the rest will come in time.


To add Whispering Wishes to your to-be-read shelf on Goodreads, click HERE
To order a copy of Pretty Little Lies, click HERE
To order a copy of Pretty Little Dreams, click HERE
To follow me on Twitter, click HERE
Like my author page on Facebook, HERE
Friend me on Facebook HERE
Follow my Pinterest boards HERE  
To visit my website, click HERE 

1 comments:

Unknown said...

<3 you! I needed it!

Post a Comment